All international students with non-immigrant status who hold F or J visa (except Canadians), who are enrolled for one credit or more, are required to be enrolled in the WSU insurance plan. However, you may submit an equal or better, alternative plan to receive a waiver for this requirement. Student Medical Insurance Waiver Form 2013-2014.
You will need to provide proof of current medical insurance coverage at the beginning of each semester to remain eligible for this exception. Learn more about the U.S. Health Care System.
Your substitute insurance plan must be active during the academic year - on or before the first day of classes through the last day of finals.
For information on how to submit your waiver request, contact the WSU Pullman Health & Wellness Services Billing & Insurance Office at 509-335-3575, email@example.com.
Substitute insurance plans must meet the following University requirements:
- Provides coverage within the state of Washington.
- Insurance company must be headquartered and operating in the US with US claims address and customer service phone number.
- Active on or before the start of the semester and continue coverage through the end of the semester.
- Total maximum aggregate benefit per policy of $200,000 or more for health conditions.
- Deductible requirement of $250 per policy year (not higher).
- Emergency Room coverage
- Hospital inpatient room & board coverage
- Surgery Coverage of 80% or more
- Anesthesia Expenses paid at 80% or more
- Physician payments covered at a minimum of 80%.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage of $10,000 or more.
- Prescription Drug coverage at a minimum of 80% for generic and 60% for brand name drugs.
- Mental or Nervous Disorder Inpatient and Outpatient expenses (combined) paid as any other sickness.
- Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Treatment.
- Pregnancy covered as any other sickness.
- Pre-existing condition limitation is no more than three months or 90 days.
- Repatriation and Medical Evacuation minimum combined benefit of $ 250,000.
- Prevention services benefit which includes preventive services such as screenings, exams and immunizations as specified by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). View a list of covered preventive services.